23 Feb 2012

Japanese rhythm

In backstage footage of Hayao Miyazaki's animated feature Spirited Away (2001), the rhythm of Japanese speech was commented on by one of the American voice actors.

Beyblade is not an Oscar-winning film; it's a low-budget children's TV show. Admittedly, I am speculating, but after listening to the first dubbed episodes, it was clear that producers could not afford to grant their voice actors a lot of rehearsal time behind the microphone.

Alex Hood records his lines for Kenny.
Ironically (since I'm talking about unpolished acting), he was, in my opinion, one of the actors who gave a most natural reading of the script; paying more attention to his character than the black marker.

Naturally, this had an adverse effect on the performance of every dubbing artist involved. Whilst I commend Nelvana for casting young talent (bringing the teenage characters to life as genuinely as possible), I couldn't stop picturing Marlowe Gardiner-Heslin in front of a huge, scrolling banner - forcing every single syllable to obediently hit that black marker.


Poor dude. As a child, I politely overlooked the lack of natural speech rhythms.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, I never notice the rhythms even now - too indoctrinated XD

    I'm finding this blog very exciting :D Are you doing any more episodes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me happy to know that the few posts I made are interesting to at least one person!

      I'm sorry to say that I just don't have the time to work out rough translations for every episode. I underestimated how long it would take!

      That said, what I did manage to do will always be available here.

      Delete
    2. That's ok, I'm glad you're keeping what you've already done, and also glad that there are still a few fans hanging around XD

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog! I've returned to the fandom after about 10 years and have found most of it has disappeared...
    I lol'ed at your 'returning fanatic' comment as thats just how I feel myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just goes to show how important some stories & characters are to shaping our lives. No matter how long it's been, the impact they've made is still there somewhere.

      Thank you for taking the time to comment :D

      Delete